Viewing last 25 versions of post by skybrook in topic Food

skybrook

"@ToastedTruffles":/forums/dis/topics/food?post_id=672#post_672

I've added too much oil to my bread before, which of course kills the yeast and makes it flat. And also not enough. Made a lot of pizza dough; nothing that tasted good. Interesting idea on adding milk in place of water. That extra protein...

[bq]There also might be an issue with using too much yeast, or the yeast not having enough life in it[/bq]I don't think you can use _too much_ yeast, but I have definitely had loaves fail on me because it ran out of available starch to feed all the yeast. Haven't tried a tub of warm water; not sure the heat in that'd last overnight.

As for not enough life, yeah... they have a brand of yeast called "Red Star" around here that is just awful. I've never managed to get it not to collapse into a vinegary mess. The other brands all sell yeast only in these tiny little packets though. I was lucky to find a teeny little jar of "Fleishmann's" brand yeast, and I... really should've been using it instead of getting distracted the last 2 weeks.

[bq]Start with your liquid components and then gradually add your solid components to it. [/bq]Yeah, I do that. Add more flour in the kneading process than anything. It's kind of hair raising actually because you have to keep going until the dough is just too tacky to rip off the counter, and only then can you add the flour. Dough that's actually pleasant to knead always ends up being too tough to puff up.

[bq]I hear that the US has to use special bread flour because their normal all-purpose flour is much lower quality than the all-purpose flour that's available in Canada.[/bq]Huh I didn't know that was the reason. Bread flour (they say) has a higher level of gluten, so it makes a tougher dough. You don't want bread flour when you're making brownies, shortbread or cake, because it is supposed to be crumbly and soft. In the US they also sell (way overpriced) "cake flour" that has even less gluten in it.

"@darkdoomer":/forums/dis/topics/food?post_id=674#post_674

Man, even the pre-shaped pizza doughs are overpriced around here. They market it like you're gonna be a real "Italian" pizza chef or something. Don't even get me started on frozen pizzas.
No reason given
Edited by skybrook