Viewing last 25 versions of post by Lotus in topic DNP Policy

Lotus

Site Administrator
"@Background Pony #3909":/forums/meta/topics/dnp-policy?post_id=331#post_331
When you look on the artist’s tag, it would show that the artist is on the DNP list, and you’d see what the restriction is.

"@HotKinkajou":/forums/meta/topics/dnp-policy?post_id=326#post_326
I can certainly ask about it, though I have no idea how feasible it would be.

"@Soft Lava":/forums/meta/topics/dnp-policy?post_id=325#post_325
There’s at least four artists who upload pictures at least once a week here, and several more who upload less often but regularly or semi-regularly. It should be possible.

"@Soft Lava":/forums/meta/topics/dnp-policy?post_id=323#post_323
I think a rewrite of the rules to include a rule against tagging vandalism may be advisable.

"@Soft Lava":/forums/meta/topics/dnp-policy?post_id=332#post_332
If I knew what to have as the options on the poll, then sure. Having an open forum like this, I think, better captures enthusiasm, and also helps give an idea of what users and artists as separate groups think.

"@HotKinkajou":/forums/meta/topics/dnp-policy?post_id=327#post_327
I think the DNPs, and especially the pro-censorship protests where artists who had clearly left the fandom were nuking their large and prized art collections, showed people how destructive takedowns are. Shinodage, who still draws ponies, did not request a takedown. Braeburned, who seems to be exclusively a furry artist, did. With vast quantities of beloved art gone for what seemed to be such a stupid reason, people became unsympathetic with takedowns.

Personally I don’t care much. I hate the idea of having to tell artists they can’t have their own art removed, but I also hate going through the images deleted from Derpibooru, and seeing Dvixie art that I purchased in print form at BronyCon.

There are very clear logical reasons for a PonerPics to have a more user than artist oriented DNP system. PonerPics will never be as attractive a place to most artists as Derpibooru, because it will never have as many users as Derpibooru, and thus as many upvotes and possible commissioners. PonerPics will also never have the rule 0, 4, and 6 of Derpibooru to shield artists from any criticism. PonerPics does, however, have the advantage to users that it will have art deleted from Derpibooru. So it makes sense to host the tens of thousands of images deleted in artist takedowns and anti-edit policies. Furthermore, the artists who most want artist-upload-only and takedowns, will be the artists who do not want to use PonerPics to begin with. So it seemed reasonable.

It’s possible that this path will have unforeseen negative effects, perhaps severely so. But with Twibooru and Rainbooru already existing, I at least one be the one to start any negative trend, nor can I really stop it if I wanted to.

With all of that said, the purpose of having the forum here is to allow those who disagree to state their preferences and their arguments, so that we can come to the best policy.
No reason given
Edited by Lotus
Lotus

Site Administrator
"@Background Pony #3909":/forums/meta/topics/dnp-policy?post_id=331#post_331
When you look on the artist’s tag, it would show that the artist is on the DNP list, and you’d see what the restriction is.

"@HotKinkajou":/forums/meta/topics/dnp-policy?post_id=326#post_326
I can certainly ask about it, though I have no idea how feasible it would be.

"@Soft Lava":/forums/meta/topics/dnp-policy?post_id=325#post_325
There’s at least four artists who upload pictures at least once a week here, and several more who upload less often but regularly or semi-regularly. It should be possible.

"@Soft Lava":/forums/meta/topics/dnp-policy?post_id=323#post_323
I think a rewrite of the rules to include a rule against tagging vandalism may be advisable.

"@Soft Lava":/forums/meta/topics/dnp-policy?post_id=332#post_332
If I knew what to have as the options on the poll, then sure. Having an open forum like this, I think, better captures enthusiasm, and also helps give an idea of what users and artists as separate groups think.

"@HotKinkajou":/forums/meta/topics/dnp-policy?post_id=327#post_327
I think the DNPs, and especially the pro-censorship protests where artists who had clearly left the fandom were nuking their large and prized art collections, showed people how destructive takedowns are. Shinodage, who still draws ponies, did not request a takedown. Braeburned, who seems to be exclusively a furry artist, did. With vast quantities of beloved art gone for what seemed to be such a stupid reason, people became unsympathetic with takedowns.

Personally I don’t care much. I hate the idea of having to tell artists they can’t have their own art removed, but I also hate going through the images deleted from Derpibooru, and seeing Dvixie art that I purchased in print form at BronyCon being deleted.

There are very clear logical reasons for a PonerPics to have a more user than artist oriented DNP system. PonerPics will never be as attractive a place to most artists as Derpibooru, because it will never have as many users as Derpibooru, and thus as many upvotes and possible commissioners. PonerPics does, however, have the advantage to users that it will have art deleted from Derpibooru. So it makes sense to host the tens of thousands of images deleted in artist takedowns and anti-edit policies. Furthermore, the artists who most want artist-upload-only and takedowns, will be the artists who do not want to use PonerPics to begin with. So it seemed reasonable.

It’s possible that this path will have unforeseen negative effects, perhaps severely so. But with Twibooru and Rainbooru already existing, I at least one be the one to start any negative trend, nor can I really stop it if I wanted to.

With all of that said, the purpose of having the forum here is to allow those who disagree to state their preferences and their arguments, so that we can come to the best policy.
No reason given
Edited by Lotus