DNP Policy

Lotus

Site Administrator
PonerPics does not have a set DNP Policy. Below is a proposed DNP Policy. Please comment any objections to this policy here:

No courtesy takedowns
No “Artist Upload Only” DNPs
Artists who do not want their tag on any, some, or some types of edits may have their tags removed from these edits with credit going in the description instead
No banning of edits, save spam
Artists may request a name change
Art not released publicly, including paywalled content, should not be uploaded without the artist’s consent.
Art from “pay what you want” art packs must be released for at least seven days before being uploaded.

Feedback is desired.
Soft Lava
Marenheit Contributor - This little pony contributed to the Marenheit fundraiser of 2020
Auti.. Artist -

Beautiful.

No “Artist Upload Only” DNPs

The intellectual property does belong to its respective owner. However, the way it is distributed does not. If any content creator insists on their content to be pulled then that has to might deal with either infringement or piracy. Doing so for other reasons is a clear sign of delusion and self-foolery.

Demanding DNP for reasons listed as: disliking the platform, disliking people running the platform, disliking the fandom, just being a dick personal matters, are not to be taken seriously as those are excuses for a desire to gain control over the target demographic, which by fact cannot be done.

Imagine if a writer made it so that anyone in the world can read his novels but not people from South Wisconsin.

No banning of edits, save spam

Finally I can remove "lgbt" tags on safe-ranked images of lyra hugging bon-bon without any fear of harsh consequence.

Artists may request a name change

DeviantArt wants to know your location.

Everything else stated are merely specifications so that is all.
HotKinkajou
Early Adopter - The Winds of Friendship blow strongly here

Гуляет Емеля
@Lotus
Switch the uploader id of an image to its artist. It is a form of DNP provided on Derpi.
This is important because of description control.
Descriptions are often lacking or broken when anons upload or export.

For example, I backlink to any original or sampled pictures when doing an edit.
I consider this common courtesy when doing an edit of someone else's art, and just convenient for the viewer when it's a version of my own art.
When exporting images manually, I make sure to update intra-booru image links.
All automatic tools that work right now (that I know of) will at best hardlink to the original booru instead, or just leave the link broken.
Right now Twibooru has all links between my images broken.
Ponerpics dodged that bullet on initial import by using Derpi ids (good move by the way), but other exporters may not be so considerte.

There are more reasons why an artist may want to change the description.

However, this model breaks down when the image is an edit or collaboration, and so is attributed to more than one person. Perhaps a different solution to the description problem is possible.
Lotus

Site Administrator
@HotKinkajou
I see. Yes, switching uploader to the artist will certainly be allowed.

As for collaborations, or issues with image descriptions more generally, an artist or commissioner can always ask staff to edit the description, the other artists involved permitting.
HotKinkajou

Гуляет Емеля
@Lotus
@HotKinkajou
I see. Yes, switching uploader to the artist will certainly be allowed.

As for collaborations, or issues with image descriptions more generally, an artist or commissioner can always ask staff to edit the description, the other artists involved permitting.

This isn't really an option with mass automatic imports.
Since you guys are already changing Philomena for the better, perhaps granting description edit rights to attributed folks (not just the uploader) might be viable?
HotKinkajou

Гуляет Емеля
I find it ironic that the boorus born of the Great Windmill Riots of 2020 are clamping down on DNPs, since these were the tools of protest…
But I also completely understand where you're coming from, since everything that could be — DNPs, bans, filters — was horribly misused on Derpi.
Still, ironic.
Background Pony #3909
Can artists who request edits seperated have something added to the search description so we know edits exist? Maybe an user setting to optionally disregard such seperations?
Lotus

Site Administrator
@Background Pony #3909
When you look on the artist’s tag, it would show that the artist is on the DNP list, and you’d see what the restriction is.

@HotKinkajou
I can certainly ask about it, though I have no idea how feasible it would be.

@Soft Lava
There’s at least four artists who upload pictures at least once a week here, and several more who upload less often but regularly or semi-regularly. It should be possible.

@Soft Lava
I think a rewrite of the rules to include a rule against tagging vandalism may be advisable.

@Soft Lava
If I knew what to have as the options on the poll, then sure. Having an open forum like this, I think, better captures enthusiasm, and also helps give an idea of what users and artists as separate groups think.

@HotKinkajou
I think the DNPs, and especially the pro-censorship protests where artists who had clearly left the fandom were nuking their large and prized art collections, showed people how destructive takedowns are. Shinodage, who still draws ponies, did not request a takedown. Braeburned, who seems to be exclusively a furry artist, did. With vast quantities of beloved art gone for what seemed to be such a stupid reason, people became unsympathetic with takedowns.

Personally I don’t care much. I hate the idea of having to tell artists they can’t have their own art removed, but I also hate going through the images deleted from Derpibooru, and seeing Dvixie art that I purchased in print form at BronyCon.

There are very clear logical reasons for a PonerPics to have a more user than artist oriented DNP system. PonerPics will never be as attractive a place to most artists as Derpibooru, because it will never have as many users as Derpibooru, and thus as many upvotes and possible commissioners. PonerPics will also never have the rule 0, 4, and 6 of Derpibooru to shield artists from any criticism. PonerPics does, however, have the advantage to users that it will have art deleted from Derpibooru. So it makes sense to host the tens of thousands of images deleted in artist takedowns and anti-edit policies. Furthermore, the artists who most want artist-upload-only and takedowns, will be the artists who do not want to use PonerPics to begin with. So it seemed reasonable.

It’s possible that this path will have unforeseen negative effects, perhaps severely so. But with Twibooru and Rainbooru already existing, I at least one be the one to start any negative trend, nor can I really stop it if I wanted to.

With all of that said, the purpose of having the forum here is to allow those who disagree to state their preferences and their arguments, so that we can come to the best policy.
Lotus

Site Administrator
Alright, an updated proposal. Please give feedback.

First, an upper limit of 60 days is placed on paywalled content before it may be posted.

Second, where an artist has requested edits to not be associated with their tag, they will be placed on the DNP list for all edits of his art (of the type prohibited) to be tagged as “artist:unauthorized edit of x”. The fact that such a tag may exist will show up under the DNP list on the artist’s tag. The edits will not appear in any search of the artist’s actual tag, and must not be tagged under the artist’s tag.
HotKinkajou

Гуляет Емеля
Keeping the additions to the tag as prefixes allows one to more easily search for all attributions, since the part to the right of the colon doesn't change, *:artistname.

So, perhaps, "edit of artist:artistname"?
HotKinkajou

Гуляет Емеля
@Lotus
I think the DNPs, and especially the pro-censorship protests where artists who had clearly left the fandom were nuking their large and prized art collections, showed people how destructive takedowns are.

One of the reasons why I said that they were horribly misused. It's a powerful tool, but it was used not just in anger, but in hissy fits, even before the happening.
As long as the things in your site rules and privacy policy hold true — I can live with this decision.

PonerPics will also never have the rule 0, 4, and 6 of Derpibooru to shield artists from any criticism.

Mixed feelings on that. No r0 is, uh, based. No r4 is, I guess, alright. But what did r6 do wrong?
Most of the abuses listed under r6 degrade the experience for all parties.
For example, vote-bombing falls under r6 and hurts both the artist and the viewer by making ratings meaningless.
wren
Potat - A master in the art of Shitposting

Freckle Inspector
@HotKinkajou
It slides far towards totalitarian eventually when staff has to try to guess someone's motives instead of just judging actions. For downvotes, I can see how downvoting an entire tag or artist tag would be petty, but it's still just a use of a feature. If this were to become a rule, it should be something entirely concrete such as "don't downvote 10 images of the same artist" or similar. Otherwise it gets to where staff starts trying to guess motives and control users. 10 images isn't a lot over time though, idk if it would be better if it were "10 images within x amount of time" kind of thing.

I'd much rather "suffer" from downvote bombing on my art rather than have this kind of rule tbqh.

Of course, one user using multiple accounts to downvote bomb or other site things is reasonable to outlaw.

@Lotus
I'd be annoyed trying to search for an artist and having chunks of their images not tagged and therefore unsearchable. Though, an "artist edit:x" kind of tag would fix that if the artist is just trying to distance from edits. I just think it's pretty gay when artists quit ponies and try to take down all their pony art.

Can't complain much about the policy so far otherwise; it looks like a dream.

@Lotus
Does that 60 days count for unreleased art like the discord example?
HotKinkajou

Гуляет Емеля
@wren
Of course, one user using multiple accounts to downvote bomb or other site things is reasonable to outlaw.

That. I'm not too concerned about someone not liking thing, I'm more concerned about someone with a vendetta.

Consider something like Steam review-bombing: company says controversial thing, people review-bomb game (even though it has no relation to the thing), reviews are locked, people bomb other games.
This, of course, serves to show the people's displeasure, but also destroys the useful ratings.

Besides, there's more than that in r6. Samefagging, impersonation, image hijacking — surely not the entirety of r6 is to be discarded?
𝚽σ𝜏mares

For artists who ragequit the fandom and wish to pretend that they were never here, could we keep the images but scrub their artist tag? Either replace it with `anonomyous artist` or `artist tag removed` or something along those lines.
Syntax quick reference: *bold* _italic_ [spoiler]hide text[/spoiler] @code@ +underline+ -strike- ^sup^ ~sub~